Samsung has unveiled its latest collect to Galaxy series – the Galaxy S4 at an event in New York. The smartphone gets an eight-core 1.6GHz processor, with 2GB of RAM. The smartphone will be powered by the Exynos 5 Octa chipset. This particular chipset has four Cortex-A15 cores clocking to a maximum of 1.6GHz and four Cortex-A7 cores clocking up to 1.2GHz.
Galaxy S IV features a 4.99-inch 1920×1080 pixel Super AMOLED display, giving it a pixel density of 441 ppi. The company says that the phone will be rolled out in 155 countries starting April 2013. The Galaxy S IV, at 7.9mm, is actually thinner than the Galaxy S III. Galaxy S4 will be the world’s first mobile device to integrate its light-based communications (LBC) technology so it can beam traditional 1-D barcodes.
“Mobeam converts barcodes, coupons, loyalty cards and gift cards into a beam of light that can be read by each of the estimated 165 million laser scanners in use today by retailers worldwide. This potentially solves the main problem with using smartphones for transactions—the lack of specalised equipment.”
Chris Sellers, CEO, Mobeam, said:
“Making cutting-edge smartphones work with barcodes might not sound sexy, but it means consumers now have the ability to beam items such as coupons, loyalty cards, gift cards and event tickets at millions of locations – something that was previously impossible. Barcodes are universal and won’t be replaced anytime soon, meaning retailers don’t need to upgrade their POS systems. The mobile industry now has a commerce technology that can work everywhere, and the world will see it first on the Samsung Galaxy S4.”
Here are the key specs of the Samsung Galaxy S4:
- 5-inch full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) display, 441 ppi
- HSPA+, LTE, GPRS/EDGE
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth 4.0 with EDR and A2DP
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- MicroUSB 2.0 with MHL, USB On-the-go, USB Host
- 13-megapixel primary camera with LED flash, Simultaneous HD video and still image stabilisation, 1080p video recording.
- 2-megapixel front-facing camera, 1080p video recording @ 30fps
- 16/32/64GB internal storage with microSD card for further expansion up to 64 GB