NVIDIA today announced the world’s fastest notebook graphics processing unit (GPU), the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M. Available now in the Alienware M18x and the new GPU has set new standards in industry leading benchmarks and games. It will be available soon in the Alienware M17x with NVIDIA’s Optimus technology.
The new GTX 570M, meanwhile, promises a 20 percent speed boost over the last-generation 470M. Both 40-nanometer cards support DirectX11, OpenCL, PhysX, CUDA, 3D Vision, Verde drivers, Optimus, SLI, and 3DTV Play. As for the battery life, NVIDIA says that when coupled with its Optimus graphics switching technology, the 580M can last through five hours of Facebook, but that is not why we shell out thousands for gaming rigs.
You can find the 580M in the Alienware M17X and M18X starting today, you might have to wait for a week for them to ship. Meanwhile, the 570M is shipping in the MSI GT780R as you are reading this, you can also find the 580M in a pair of 3D-capable Clevo laptops: the P170HM3 and the SLI-equipped P270WN.
“The best game support. The best gaming features. The best gaming performance available anywhere. That’s the essence of the GeForce GTX 580M,” said Rene Haas general manager of notebook products at NVIDIA. “With power like this, you can turn all the knobs to 11.”
The power of GeForce GTX GPUs means gamers can play at full 1080p high-definition resolutions with the advanced technology features that set GeForce GPUs far from the competition. These include:
· Support for NVIDIA 3D Vision™ technology, the best 3D experience for notebooks, which automatically converts over 525 titles into immersive 3D.
· Support for NVIDIA 3DTV Play™ software, for connecting 3D Vision-based notebooks to 3D TVs.
· NVIDIA SLI® technology, which links two GTX GPU’s to double your gaming performance.
· NVIDIA Optimus technology, which enables extra-long battery life by automatically switching on and off the GPU so that it runs only when needed.
· NVIDIA PhysX® engine support, which brings games to life with realistic physics.
· NVIDIA CUDA® architecture support, for GPU computing applications.
· NVIDIA Verde™ notebook drivers, for frequent performance improvements and rock-solid stability.
Source: nvidia press release via Engadget.
|GeForce GTX 570M||GeForce GTX 580M
|Processor cores||Up to 336||Up to 384|
|Support for||PhysX, Verde drivers, CUDA, 3D Vision, 3DTV Play, Optimus, SLI, DirectX11||PhysX, Verde drivers, CUDA, 3D Vision, 3DTV Play, Optimus, SLI, DirectX11|
|Processor clock speed||Up to 1150MHz||Up to 1240MHz|
|Memory clock speed||Up to 1500MHz||Up to 1500MHz|
|Memory||Up to 1.5GB or 3GB||Up to 2GB GDDR5
|Memory width||Up to 192-bit||Up to 256-bit