India’s Union Minister for Human Resourced Development, Shri Kapil Sibal, today launched ‘Aakash’, a low cost access cum computing device. Aakash is believed to help in eliminating digital illiteracy.
The final landed price of $49.98/unit (which translated to INR 2276 at the exchange rate at the time of the order) included taxes, levies, and charges like freight and insurance, servicing and documentation etc.
Aakash UbiSlate 7 Specifications
– Processor: 366 Mhz with Graphics accelerator and HD Video processor
– Memory (RAM): 256MB RAM / Storage (Internal): 2GB Flash
– Storage (External): 2GB to 32GB Supported
– Peripherals (USB2.0 ports, number): 1 Standard USB port
– Audio out: 3.5mm jack / Audio in: 3.5mm jack
– Display and Resolution: 7” display with 800×480 pixel resolution
– Input Devices: Resistive touch screen
– Connectivity and Networking: WiFi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g
– Power and Battery: Up to 180 minutes on battery. AC adapter 200-240 volt range.
– OS: Android 2.2
– Document Rendering
- Supported Document formats: DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, ODT, ODP
- PDF viewer, Text editor
– Multimedia and Image Display
- Image viewer supported formats: PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF
- Supported audio formats: MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA
- Supported video formats: MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, FLV
– Communication and Internet
- Separate application for online YouTube video
- Safety and other standards compliance
– CE certification / RoHS certification
Other: Additional Web Browser: UbiSurfer-Browser with compression/acceleration and IE8 rendering.
On behalf of GeekTech Team we wish Mr. Kapil Sibal all the best for this wonderful project.
Image Credits: NDTV